View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #849
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Rural and Outback Cops.

Derby is a small town in the north of Western Australia. I worked there in the late 70’s so this story is of the life and times of more than 50 years ago when the population was less than 1000. Today it remains a small town with a population of a little more than 3000 with about half being aboriginal. Like many towns throughout the western world, its name originated in England. But unlike the English, the locals pronounce it as it’s written and not “Darby” as the English do. It was an administrative centre for the West Australian state government, had a large hospital, a base for the Royal Flying Doctor Service, a sea port and was an overnight stop for the airline crew as it was a 10 hour day to the state capital Perth. Derby was a young people’s town and most social activity involved drinking beer. The climate was oppressively hot and humid.
The week I arrived there in ’67 a young bloke was killed in a motor car and the cops asked his boss for his drivers licence number. Well it turned out he didn’t have a driver’s licence which had the cops ask for the licence number of all his employees. Only 2 had licences so the cops made further inquiry and found unlicensed driving was common with most town folk. We all had to go and get a licence. There was always a minimum of 5 cars outside the police station for 3 weeks with drivers acquiring licences, some had never held one in their lives.
Derby had an open air picture theatre with canvas deck chair type seating. Occasionally a patron would be seated and the aging canvas would rip rather loudly to the amusement and applause of the audience. I suspect it hasn’t changed. Well one evening the movie stopped and a voice on the p.a., the local police sergeant, instructed all drivers who had left keys in their car to please go and remove them. Well nearly the whole theatre emptied. There was no theft as far as I knew but the cops were becoming softly authoritive. No one was greatly offended by this change. Outback and remote people have always had good relations with police and this remains the case today. And they don't have to suffer highway patrol. Aren't they fortunate.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 03-11-2020 at 01:10 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote