View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
GOSFAST

Default Re: Flywheel Pressure plate balance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Took my '35 out for a real ride. First one never went over 10MPH and ended in overheating and that issue is resolved. Increased the speed in each gear. at low
RPM 1200 to 1500 pretty smooth, then the vibration increases to an uncomfortable level. at 35 to 40 mph. Driving with the center floor section out I can feel / hear it coming from the front of the trans / bell.

This was the first assembly for me at putting a resurfaced FW, PP, clutch and rebuilt tranny. Has anyone had balance issues like this after a project like this? There isn't any special indexing when assembling the FW PP bolts is there? Torqued all per manual instruction. Clutch spline lined up and works fine, I know I'm going to have to pull the engine again and figure it out but want a plan before I start. Thinking maybe should've bought a new FW and PP.
Hi Tony, hard to diagnose certain vibration issues over the internet but I will say this, whether you are using a new setup from the box or a used one that has had any type repair work, including as simple as refacing the wheel, I would check the ass'y on a balancer before it gets installed. This totally eliminates it as a source of any vibration problem.

Since you are working with an "independently-balanced" unit you can balance both pieces as an ass'y, but when finished they should be clocked/indexed together as they came off the balancer!

Thanks. Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Over the years we've balanced an untold number of these ass'y's and have corrected just about the same amount! It is an item that MUST be checked before the fact! We recently had a "defective" flywheel from a major vendor. On returning it, they acknowledged the fact and replaced it, no questions asked!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote