Thread: V8 fan shroud
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
G.M.

Default Re: V8 fan shroud

Merc and the others with shroud's would you please report the temperatures before adding the shrouds and after. I put a truck shroud on my 39 P/U years ago plus an industrial 6 bladed fan. It ran temperatures like most flatheads before with the normal problem of getting up in the 200 degree range at prolonged idles on hot days. I ran it at a fast idle for over 2 hours in temperaures of 97+ degrees at a National Ford meet 5 or 6 years ago and it never got to 180. If I raced it up it dropped 4 or 5 degrees. This truck runs along at 170 on 90 plus days with NO thermostats or other restrictions to the coolant flow. With 160 degree stats with 8 holes in the flange of each stat it runs at 185 to 190. It was even higher without the holes. The modern stats that fit the 32 to 48 engines all have small opening ports that restrict the flow of coolant. Larger amount of water such as filling the radiator to the neck, more water flowing through the radiator useing Skips high flow pumps and more air through the through the radiator make for optimum cooling. Increasing any of the above improve cooling. G.M.