View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #15
GMCPASO

Default Re: Looking for a Good Soul to Detail the Marvel Carburetor

I have had one in my collection for about 20 years and with a lull in things to do, I dug up information on it and started out on it. One mounting threaded hole is stripped out which I understand quite often happens when one is over torquing the 5/16-18 bolts. Well with that aside, using a bolt and nut, I cleaned it up, got some make shift gaskets made and cleaned it out and reassembled it and found all the leaks in the fitting. Float had been soldered a bunch but still floated. Cleaned all the passages I could see and reassembled it and put it on the car. Well to my surprise, it performed like a Tully but with a a little more spunk, get up and go. Like the Tully, it has a noticeable response to the dash control,GAV, with added get up when is is opened up in a climb up a hill. I suspect it will be a good performer when in mountains at higher altitudes when you want to lean it out some. It is on my shelf the next time I head into the mountains. I don't know what will happen to mileage as I get a consistent 22 mpg with my Zenith. I have ordered gaskets and fittings from Renner's Corners. If anyone knows a source for a Float, I would like to hear about where. A coupe of heli-coils are in order and a flattening of the of the mounting surface to insure a mounting seal as it is warped some. Check one out and try it.
GMCPASO is offline   Reply With Quote