View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 03:23 AM   #40
Karl

Default Re: V-J Day August 15, 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
My dad was left seat pilot on a B17, flew 23 combat missions and 4 "Chowhound" missions out of Framlingham, England, 390th Bomb Group at the end of the war in 1945. His plane got shot up a few times but none of his crew got hurt and they always made it home. Flew the plane home with his crew and landed on US soil July, 4 1945. Got married on July 21 and then headed off to South Dakota and was training in B29's when Japan surrendered. Not bad for a farm kid born in a log cabin in central Minnesota. Have pictures of him in his officers uniform with mom in front of his first car, '36 Ford 5 window. I didn't know that was his first car until he passed away and we were going through the old pictures. I was fortunate to find a basket case '36 coupe and now have one and every time I drive it I think of him.
Great story-My Dads first car (a 1938 Triumph Dolemite Drophead Coupe ) was sold to buy a cot for me when I was born . Mum and Dad courted in it and drove it on their honeymoon. It was sold locally and is still owned by the same person. Mum and Dad are both gone now , The owner has told me that it is in his will that on his passing it will be offered for sale to me . I don't think there will be much haggling on the price on my part !!