View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #69
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: 1931 Pickup Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31pickup650 View Post
While being at home a lot more now, I started doing some work on the truck for the first time since 2016 to get it running better.

I started off last month getting a new battery and draining the gas from 2016 and cleaning out the carb. Surprisingly, the car started up fairly quickly. I fixed some of the leaks on the new rad hoses from when I added the temp probe pipe.

Driving it up and down the road a few times showed some issues with stumbling under load. I gave it a pretty thorough Seaform treatment and replaced the wire from the ignition coil (the sheathing was split) and that seemed to clear up some the stumbling.

There was quite a bit of oil on the plugs and in the cylinders and I did a compression test to see how things were. Things were not good: 46/44/36/44 PSI.... I've continued driving it around, but the engine is definitely on its last legs. It is super slow going trudging up hills. The radiator I got cleaned out definitely works well. The temperature gauge stays around 170-180 driving around in 80 degree weather.

Thanks for posting , have not seen this string before since it was before I joined FB in 2018.

You are going through most of what I went through with my Dad's truck. It is definitely a learning experience, and you have gotten good advice from the other members.

As far as your carb, a cause of having to choke, stumbling, die at stop can also be a worn throttle plate shaft/bushing. Air sucks through the loose fitting shaft/bushing. Causes a lean mixture. Sometimes overlooked when being rebuilt.

Good luck and keep posting. These strings are always a great read.

When its back together a few closer pics and pics of the interior please.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote