View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A prices...going which way?

I purposely waited to read what others thoughts were. Now I'll add mine if that is acceptable.

I was an infant some 59 years ago when my father introduced me to the Model-A hobby. My father was one of the founding members of the Houston Model-A club during the mid-1960s, -so I have seen the trends for the better part of 5 decades now. Comparing Apples-to-Apples in each subsequent decade, the prices have increased. One other item that I have always grinned at is when folks say we need to get younger people involved. Ironically in life, young folks tend to grow old, and eventually those young people who are not interested in a Model-A get older and now there is a new attraction for them. It is called a Model-A.

What I have noticed during the past few decades is the quality of the car has dropped. My point is the quality of the Model-A that $10k would purchase two or three decades ago will no longer purchase an equal quality vehicle, ...even when that $10k is adjusted for inflation. My perception is that a large percentage of Model-As that are described as being 'restored' today are in worse mechanical and aesthetical condition than the average Model-A vehicle from 20+ years ago.

Part of this stems from the sources of good original parts, -or NOS parts are no longer available for repairs/restorations however I also feel that the availability of cheap reproduction parts has taken its toll on the hobby as a whole. It is my opinion we are now seeing the fruits of this. Even today when better quality reproduction parts and/or materials such as paints & substrates are available, vendors frequently tell me that price point generally outweighs quality when the order is placed and the dollar is spent.

So, to answer your question specifically based on what I see in the industry, there will always be a market for someone to Buy and Sell a Model-A. There will always be a premium on good quality merchandise. My advise is always purchase the best car available, -even if you cannot afford it. The prices are often directly related to bank CD rates and the economy (i.e.: stock market) because when bank rates are low, investors look for other items to 'invest in'. While a Model-A is typically not considered an investment, many people who had maturing CDs that were renewing at 0.5 % would look at purchasing a collector car as an alternative, ...especially when a $25k CD was paying an annual dividend of less than $70.00 a year. That Model-A brought more than $70 worth of enjoyment each year, and the fun of owning such a car was worth taking the risk. That meant there were more Model-A trying to be purchased so the purchase price arose. Now 'investors' are seeing great rates at the bank and a stock market that is flourishing, so the investor's money is being used on items other than collector car purchases. For someone in the market to purchase a Model-A today, the prices are more favorable. Hopefully this has also helped answer your questions.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote