View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #32
32phil

Default Re: Steering wheel wobble

Here's an update to my previous postings about Death Wobble issues.
The specs on the car:
My car is a Brookville 32 Roadster on an original 32 frame. No fenders, dropped and drilled Superbell front axle, Posies lowered front spring. Stock un-cut wishbone, early Model B rear end, Posies rear spring with 4 leaves removed. Coker Classic 750-16 tires on the rear 600-16 on the front. Warmed up 8BA with 39 trans L/Z gears.
The car is new or completely rebuilt, with the best of everything front to back. Toe in is at a little more than 3/16.
I would experience the death wobble only on low speed turns. RXR crossings were a killer. I would have to slow to crawl and then it would still get a little "nervous".
Yesterday I installed a So Cal steering damper. It's a different car. I tried every pothole and bump along with every RXR crossing multiple times.....no death wobble !!. I could feel it for a split second.... it would seem like it wanted to... but it would straighten out immediately. I'm good with it for now. My plans are for a new steering arm from So Cal, it's dropped down some from the one that is on the car now. Jseery pointed out that the extreme angle of the drag link may be a problem as well. Also I'm investigating the caster and if we can change it if it is off spec.
Thanks for the feedback......stay tuned.