View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #56
GB SISSON

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
GB, I am concerned about your choice of air filters for your 6AT installation. Attached is a link to an old Cummins video about the damage dust can cause to an engine, https://www.facebook.com/liftedlifet...1266004382770/. If the link doesn't search for Cummins Operation Hourglass.

There was also an SAE paper written on the development of that engine back in 1985 if you would like to know more of the technical details of the engine. The SAE paper number is 850260.
EDit: Just in case you thought my wife was 'running off', I didn't mean it literally. We just stayed up watching old country videos on youtube.... OK, just to be clear.

I just downloaded and printed the SAE paper on the onan/cummins L series engine development. Seven big main bearings, water cooled oil cooler with 20 plates on the turbo models, 6000 hours-20,000 hours between overhauls at 3600 rpm. Not sure I can wear it out on casual weekend runs or to the dump, as I am 67 years old in May. Running the fine line on weekends between my wife running off, and me being happy with what I got done on my project. We both agreed about 10 minutes ago that I was obsessed. But we Knew that...... Just about ready to fire up the Cummins 6at in the frame.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-02-2020 at 12:38 AM.
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote