View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 01:53 AM   #33
cas3

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

i would think the 3/8 hole is a restriction, but if you have your pressure gauge further down the line you will see what the motor is getting for pressure, but is the volume still there? i am on my 4th 6bt cummins, and a mix of metric and US thread is the norm from what i've seen. i even bought a nice 15MM mac wrench just for my cummins habit, odd size not seen on most import stuff. now, your lucky to be dealing with a normal V belt, thats not the norm. i had a constant problem with my 89 dodge burning up a voltage regulator about every 6-8 thousand miles. the hip cats on the cummins forum were all going for a GM 24 si, whats used on all the medium duty rigs and motor homes so, common on the road and eliminate all the dodge nonsense. i had a couple thousand miles on at home and headed out west to buy another piece of junk to complicate my life further. first morning, middle of nebreaska, cold out, start the truck to warm the diesel and its not charging. open the hood, yeah, the belts on, the alternator is spinning, so...its broke. drove west all day stopping at every auto store and every truck repair joint, no 24si in stock. so much for being common. finally in wyoming, nearly dark, 10 hours of no charge, and a truck shop had one on the shelf. i had tools, was gonna do it myself, but at 15 degrees, and near dark i begged them to do it for me. when the mechanic was trying to remove the belt, the outer case of the pulley fell on the floor!!!. so all day it was spinning, never ate the belt or looked funny when i had the hood open. when doing the conversion i had trimmed a little off one side for better alignment in my lathe, but had no indication that the pulley was made in two parts. i must have cut the weld,or was it pressed together? so now we have a new alternator, not needed, but no pulley. luckily, one of the mechanics had an old dodge in the lot not being used at the time, so i bought the alternator off his truck, paid him the retail cost to replace it, happy with that as i was once again on the road. i mostly only drive my pickup when i am on a trip to get some more junk i dont need, and now a spare alternator is behind the seat. the photo shows that i assume it was pressed together, but hard to believe that ran for about 400 miles with no noise. always glad to hear of your projects GB, you have an interesting life there on the island, keep up the good work, skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0578.JPG (96.8 KB, 33 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote