View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
ChadCurrent

Default Timing issue on a 292?

I haven't been very active for a while with work and other things getting in the way but I'm back with a new question.

I have actually gotten dad's old 56 tbird to move down the road
It has a newly rebuilt 292 powering a borg warner t10 4 speed and 4:10 rear end.
I didn't own a carburetor or distributor that would fit the engine so I bought a adapter plate to bolt on a 500cfm edelbrock carburetor and one of those electronic distributor kits on ebay. It was able to fire up first try once gas filled the carb and starts very easily. Sitting in the garage it idles great and really good throttle response but that's as far as it gets. Out on the road it's really sluggish no pep like it's struggling to pull itself. It gets really loud almost like knocking trying to pull itself up to 55mph. It also gets pretty hot quick. Why I think it's timing issue.

Here's my problem,

When you connect the timing light to cyl #1 the timing mark on the pulley is way off when idling almost an inch off and adjusting the distributor makes it die.

Is it possible that we didn't get the distributor installed dead on #1 TDC? How is it that it runs if it's that far off? I would think that the timing chain and cam would be right or it wouldn't run at all or horrible.

We did run a vacuum line off the carburetor to the vacuum advance but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions as to why it runs with the timing marks off so far? I'd like to get it running and driving good down the road so I can finally send it out for paint.

Thanks for reading.
ChadCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote