View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
reman

Default Re: Transmission swap

I have read through this a few times and am still a bit unclear......First off, I don't think you have a 2 spd auto in a 57, unless it was added. I think the 2 spd wasn't introduced until 59, or maybe 58. Early Fordomatics only shifted once if started in Drive. You had to start in low to get first gear. Is the current transmission a total aluminum housing? Or is the center section cast iron? ........Next, most all Ford auto's through the mid-late 60;s will fit the 57. You have to be sure and use the Y block flywheel housing and flywheel. Variations of the Cruisomatics and Fmx to name a couple are all 3 speed..........Now, if you just want a bit more modern 3 speed auto, the C4 is the way to go. It is physically smaller and will fit better and the parasitic drag is less. A C6 is a great trans, but larger and bulkier, and still 3 speed. C4 or C6 will require an adaptor. And no real advantage over a later Cruiso. If you want OD (3 speed +OD) why not use an early AOD? It will require an adaptor as well but will give the extra gear. The early ones do not require a computer and are a popular swap for Y block cars. I can see no reason whatsoever to look for a C6. Good luck with it, whichever way you go.
reman is offline   Reply With Quote