View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
larrys40

Default Re: Fixed or Random National Meet Locations.

Brent,
I've been to more Mafca regionals than nationals.. as the Nationals are typically more west coast located, time and money are factors for me.... but I don't pick them by club, I pick them by geography or where I want to go and what they are having. In my opinion the best meets are those with scenery, good planning,seminars,swap meet, and organized tours and activities ( ice cream optional). Even though I appreciate and have judged at nationals many years ago and enjoy the fine point and originality side... I see the "touring" side the driving force to the success of the meets. Maybe the recent National (or they could be regional) Tours is part of the wave of the future....
Personally I liked French Lick.. I would probably go back a 2nd time but not a 3rd. I think change of venue is necessary to continue to pull interest of the larger masses.
Personally I think it's been great MARC has had an annual meet... as it gives something to plan for and be excited about going to. . I think before they reduce it to alternating years that other options be explored. Like the V8 National usually has a "Grand" National every 5 years.. it use to be in Detroit... well ours could be at the "MAFFI" museum area venue or something of the sort.... maybe that would help? Food for thought...
BTW.. the Natchez Trace and BRP were awesome!! Definitely trips of a lifetime.
My words to folks that haven't been to a National or tour... are... "What are you waiting for"! start enjoying memories and adventures.... so there's a little heat or the element of breaking down. Get your car up to snuff and drive and enjoy... you won't regret it. My Pikes Peak trek in my "A" was fog laden so bad I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me at times.. but it was still worth it. An adventure to remember.
Will, if you need a helper for a National meet or project count me in!
Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 06-25-2013 at 08:33 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote