View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
pre48V-8

Default Re: Another insurance question

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
First, this was an hypothetical question resulting from a discussion not an actual circumstance. Second, as for your reply, it may not be as simple as you suggest. Let's assume you make some substantial changes (or planning to do so), in the mechanics of your car (such an upgraded engine) or the general use of the vehicle. You call your insurance company and speak to a secretary-clerk-salesman or agent and receive an answer you feel comfortable with regarding the car's insurance coverage. Then let's assume at some later date a major event occurs and the insurance company is faced with a major payout. Ask yourself who is going to carry the day? What the secretary-clerk-salesman or agent may have or may not have told you or the insurance company's interpretation of their insurance policy? Unless, you have something iron-clad in writing... well, I think you get the picture.
True. Perfect example happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The AAA So. Cal. Collector car insurance field rep. I've spoken to at a couple of automotive related events about putting my "beater", weather-worn, "patina" 1941 early Ford V-8 car on a collector car policy assured me that after lengthy meetings and discussions with underwriters, AAA was able to change the policy parameters to include collector vehicle's that don't have a "show room finish" to be considered for coverage by them. So, I was called to come by a local AAA office with my '41 Ford and have an agent take photos of it to forward to the underwriters & get the approval process started and had a discussion with the agent in the office regarding my car. The agent wasn't aware of the change in policy and was telling me that the collector car policy only would covered collector cars with a "showroom finish" appearance. I had to get the field rep. on the phone who spoke to the office agent to assure them that the policy had indeed changed. Yet, though I was speaking to a bona fide AAA insurance agent at my local office they weren't up to speed on this particular auto insurance policy.
pre48V-8 is offline   Reply With Quote