View Single Post
Old 06-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #81
tubman

Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
sweet thanks, i should've taken you up on your offer a while back about going into detail about your set up, what do you have for throttle linkage? how did you bore the intake out? just a die grinder or something more precise?
Basically, I just added a ball stud to the 2G that was the same size as the end of the Ford throttle rod, and everything fell together. IIRC, I cut off the end of the Ford throttle rod, threaded it and screwed on an adjustable rod end. Actually the throttle doesn't open quite all of the way, but the increase in performance was enough that I haven't got around to fixing that yet.

I used something called a "Rota-Broach" and a guide I made out of 1" thick aluminum to bore the manifold. I just slip the guide over the carburetor studs, clamp the intake manifold on to my drill press, and bore away. The only tricky part is getting the manifold clamped down at just the right angle because the carb mounting surface is not parallel to the block mounting surface. I have done aluminum and cast iron manifolds and they both cut easily. This method allows you to cut all the way down the manifold a full 1 7/16". When this is done, I use a die grinder to smooth the transition at the bottom of the bore. The "Rota-Broach" and it's required arbor are kind of expensive, but I use the in the manufacture of my "trash can" condensers. I have the cutter and an extra arbor I could let you use (along with the guide) for the cost of shipping if you want. All I would need is a $100 deposit to make sure I get it back. PM me if you're interested.

EDIT : One last thing. The 2G base has voids cast into it for manifold heat. The size and shape of the Merc manifold carb mounting surface is such that these voids can cause vacuum leaks. This can be remedied by using stacked Merc and Rochester carb gaskets. In the alternative, I have made block off plates made from 1/16" aluminum to take care of this. Since it costs as much to make 20 of these as 1, I have spares.

I notice you are in Canada, which may make shipping problematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RotaBroach.jpg (6.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by tubman; 06-21-2023 at 12:00 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote