View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Reviving a proper six

Well, winter is coming on and most of my jailbar fleet is under control so my mind wanders into what is next. I have found I almost never drive my tonner panel, so I decided to sell it to a very nice young man who bought my '47 2 ton. He lives in N. Seattle and is an arborist. He has really enjoyed the stakebed for hauling logs , gear etc. He is 31 and has lots of energy. A few years back I bough a nice bunch of flathead fords from the son in law of a ford guy. In the lot was an H six, very complete from a panel truck that got wrecked soon after a restoration. Years ago I tyried to start the six, but the ring gear was trashed, and I couldn't get spark and I had many other projects going on. I found the ring gear guru and he has the H gear made on occasion, so I ordered one. Shrunk it on this morning. Well I am waiting for drawings on the next project in the wood shop, so today I replaced the condensor and had spark. Went to 12 v with a bosch blue. Took almost all day dealing with spark, carb, solenoid, switches etc, but by 4:00 was running nicely. Short runs, no coolant, but smooth. No real plans for it but..... I do have a 46 tonner PU from the dry side of the mountains, had no bed BUT had a title but had no bed or running boards or engine.. I also have a 47 from the rainy side but the bed was good, or good enough. Cab might look ok to rust-belters, but not me. I currently have the west side bed on the east side cab/chassis. Matching green, needs engine. OK, brakes etc. This could take a while....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fh6-1.jpg (154.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg fh6-2.jpg (155.8 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg fh6-4.jpg (164.0 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg eddies engines on the '92.jpg (78.7 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg Oscar at home.jpg (68.9 KB, 495 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote