View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
JayJay

Default Re: horn blows while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
Mine starting low "growl" as I was driving. I found if I hit the horn button it stopped for a while. That made me think it was not in the wires. I eventually got it to growl while sitting still and I found the screw on the cover (not the adjuster screw the hold the cover screw) apparently was too tight. As I loosened the screw the growling stopped and never returned. Just a thought: Try driving with the cover off if you want.
I had a "growl" while driving as well. In addition, pressing the horn button resulted in what would charitably be termed "anemic" response that could not be adjusted out. Pretty embarrassing.

I disconnected the wires, checked continuity both on the 6 volt and ground sides and found all well. So I took the horn apart.

Found the cover held on quite tightly with the screw, one brush spring hypercompressed and non-functional, and the brush holders were missing the springs that hold them against the copper brush housing. The tension bar on the ratchet end of the armature had been replaced by what appeared to be a bent six-penny nail. And it was really dirty. Magnets and armature tested good.

So I gave it a thorough going-over. Once cleaned up, commutator polished and undercut, and brushes, brush holders, tensioner and wire ends (I replaced the grossly deformed crimp-on "bullets" with solid copper solder-on) replaced, it now gives a truly regulation "ah-ooo-gah" and no more growl. I have not tried to reproduce the growl by tightening the cover screw but that could have been that issue.

BTW, I ordered new diaphragm gaskets from Snyder's, they came a maybe 0.080-0.100" diameter oversized and didn't fit (holes didn't line up). So I resurrected the originals.

Success! Gotta love 90-year old electrical...

JayJay
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote