View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: '36 Pickup electrical issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric42 View Post
I would start by disconnecting the low tension wire from the coil to the distributor at the distributor and removing the HT lead from the distributor cap. Then, with the ignition on and holding the end of the HT lead near the block or head and touching the LT lead to the block a few times you will be able to check the operation of the coil i.e. you should see a good blue spark jumping from the HT lead to the block. Be careful not to get your hand too close to the end of the HT lead as it might bite you.
meric42 just tried what you said and didn't get any spark. I had a weak trickle spark off of the distributor lead, and nothing at the HT coil wire lead.

I must have a broken wire somewhere I'll keep digging. I tried taking the ignition switch apart but that looks fine too.

Thank you for the advice.

Oh I also thought 'maybe' the 20AMP fuze was bad sometimes they burn out under the metal part and not that thin strip, I looked at that early on, tried another fuze, didn't make any difference. I checked continuity of both fuses and got 0.0 Ohms off of each of them. Thought maybe the replacement was a bad one. It was one I had laying in the tool box. I need to get to the Auto Parts store and buy some more anyway to have on hand. I use them in the Model A too.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote