Thread: model a shocks
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
1930-Pickup

Default Re: model a shocks

I drive my pickup with two shocks at the rear only. The two front shocks are shot and do nothing.

I drive up to about 40 MPH. Any faster and my worn engine is getting an attitude problem, but it holds to the road just fine.

My front spring has never been off, and its probably a bit too stiff, although the truck does move up and down at the front, just not a lot. The rest of the front end has some wear, but not much. Anyway, I'm rebuilding the front end and brakes this year, so I'll find out.

If my front spring was all fresh and clean and lubricated, maybe it would be more unstable at higher speeds...I don't know.

Seems odd to me that an A would be so unstable above 25 MPH if it didn't have shocks. Did Henry really create an unstable platform? T's frequently didn't have shocks, and neither did many cars of the 1920's.

If the A's are so unstable above 25, what happened during the last 90 years as people wore out their shocks, or just took them off? We all know how terrible the maintenance was on most Model A's for many years by most owners. Did all these cars drive slower than 25? I'm asking because it doesn't make sense to me.