View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
tubman

Default Re: Temp Heat in Garage

I have a ventless 35,000 BTU wall mounted propane heater in my shop, which is 30 X 40 with 14 ft ceilings and is insulated. I installed it because I wanted something cheap and easy to keep the chill off in the fall and spring. I am in north central Minnesota, but I usually winter in Florida, so I don't need anything very robust for the winter. This winter, courtesy of Hurricane Irma, I am stuck in Minnesota, so I have been using my heater almost daily. I am amazed at how well it works. I usually go to town in the morning to get the mail and stop by my shop (which is 3 miles from my home) on the way back and start the heater. I then return home, do whatever needs to be done, and go back up to my shop. By that time, the temperature is around 60 degrees, which is plenty comfortable if you're working. After it gets to 63 or so, it shuts itself off (it is thermostatically controlled) and cycles from then on. I have two 20 lb propane bottles connected together by a hose gizmo I got off Amazon. I go to the shop 5-or 6 days a week for 4 to 5 hours at a time. With this pattern of use, the 40 lbs of propane lasts about two weeks. The last two 20 pounders cost me $36.05 to fill. I also have a large ceiling fan that is on all the time, blowing downwards. All in all, I am extremely happy with this setup. I have had no problems with excess moisture or smells. I do have a quality carbon monoxide and gas detector installed. I highly recommend this kind of heater, especially to someone looking for something temporary. When you decide to go to something permanent, you will probably be able to sell a unit like this for almost what you paid for it.

There is one other factor that comes into play. My shop is in a storage complex and as such, is not free-standing. The unit on my right is not heated during the winter, but the one on my left is owned by a friend who keeps it at 45 degrees. I'm sure this makes heating my unit easier, how much I don't know, because the common walls are also insulated.

Here is a link to the type of heater I have. I couldn't find my exact unit (which is 35,000 BTU and black), but this is close. BTW, these units can be switched from propane to natural gas with a turn of a valve with no extra parts needed.

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...277994&ipos=19
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote