View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #18
Joe K

Default Re: Rear axle housing repair sleeves not hardened

Quote:
One piece of advice he gave me, which I believe is important, is to not use the reproduction rear wheel bearings the suppliers sell. The roller elements are much too hard and will tear the sleeves up. Find some originals.
Go Timken and you won't go wrong. That was the original bearing IIRC.

We have a family member who did his "student interneship" with Timken. Having heard him expound at length about the quality checks (his particular specialty) I can positively say that Timken is one of the few American companies who have maintained or even improved their US and dare I say world position in the field.

My own field, Nuclear Power Plant engineering and startup, appreciated that because ANY product of Timken could be provided with "Nuclear Quality Assurance" for pretty much the cost of the paperwork - and involved nothing other than assembling the paper and sending them to you. We reasoned that the bearings are ALL made already to the ultimate quality, and all are identical origin, production, and documentation wise.

As I say - Go Timken - an American Success Story.

Not saying you won't pay for it - that also is what Americans do - get their piece of your hide.

Joe K

Edit: somewhere here I have assembled in a box the COMPLETE set of Timken Cone Bearings to do a rear end. Almost $400 in bearings done in Timken which the large cones & race units run about $55 a copy. I was tempted at first to do the "aftermarket" bearing which run $25-35 depending on source. But wisely saved up for the full set.

Last edited by Joe K; 03-04-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote