View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #17
Tom Endy

Default Re: Rear axle housing repair sleeves not hardened

Over the years of rebuilding rear axle assemblies I have encountered unserviceable hubs on the ends of the axle housings. There was a local shop that could turn down the hubs and press on hardened sleeves. He supplied the sleeves. At first his price was reasonable, but he kept increasing it until he priced himself out of the market and finally went out of business.

One piece of advice he gave me, which I believe is important, is to not use the reproduction rear wheel bearings the suppliers sell. The roller elements are much too hard and will tear the sleeves up. Find some originals.

Soon after Bratton's started offering hardened sleeves. They sell for about $25 each and I have been using them for years. I found a shop that will turn down the hub and press the sleeve on for $80 each and have been going this route for a number of years. I also advise my customers to find some original rear wheel bearings. There are ample still around and they were over-engineered and perform well.

I have not had any customers comeback with a sad tale of a hub failure, But of course many of these cars are not driven often.

The original wheel bearings have a spiral in each element and appear to be of a softer material. I see them at swap meets and are sometimes found in old discarder drums. They can usually be had for little or nothing.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear wheel bearing.jpg (65.4 KB, 30 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote