View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Default Re: Info Request: 30-31 Sport Coupe

All of the steel body Fords have a given structure for each design. Just like a house or any other structure, it all starts with the foundation. In this case, the foundation is the body sill or subframe members and its floor support structure. The cowl and rear quarters attach to that structure in specific places and all of it attaches to a straight & square frame with associated body block support pieces & bolts.

If a person is piecing one back together then all of it should be fit together before final attachment or riveting. This will include the doors & deck lid to get the best fit overall. Wood bows can also be fit during this process. Patch panels can be tack welded but keep in mind that the fit may have to be adjusted prior to final welding.

I use a lot of clecos, screws, magnets, clamps, and pieces of metal to hold stuff together during this process. I start with minimal attachments for fit and add all the rest after this fitting is good to go. This way I can correct for things being off base with minimal repair work prior to tying it all together in a more permanent way.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-25-2020 at 10:10 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote