View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #21
DannL

Default Re: Begging to be a hot rod.

Ooops, I inadvertently added the price of five new tires, five inner tubes, and two new front brake drums to the "thousands of dollars" figure. ;-)

The car has a refurbed Zenith 2, new distributor body, rotor, base plate (and new wiring), new modern points, new coil and cable, new wiring throughout (entire car, braided copper . . . no aluminum), 3 fuses installed (at critical points), timed with a timing light (Verified many times), new plugs, new plug wires, new fuel shut-off. But, as mentioned, these parts they make today are really low quality. Car runs great . . . until she dies on the road.

First time it was loose wiring. Then the coil. Then HV cable to the coil . . . and yesterday I have no clue why it died on the road. Checked fuses, lifted the distributor cap to have a look-see, put it back on and the car started right up. Drove another 10 miles, not a single hick-up. Ten minutes prior, I was talking to coworkers and said . . . "now that I have gone through everything that could go bad over the last year, I shouldn't see any problems for a while". We laughed today when I told them what happened.

Naturally I will go through the works with a fine tooth comb for the 100th time. But, what I'm really interested in is getting a feel for the sentiment about hot-rodding her. Nothing drastic you see. Just a little spit and polish . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bod.jpg (58.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Eng.jpg (60.2 KB, 52 views)
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote