View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #108
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Pasted below are a few additional comments received.

I appreciate your dedication to this project, Terry, under rather extreme circumstances. I’m in Southern Ontario, Canada, and am patiently awaiting the end of this Covid 19 threat. Cheers! Al

Al, Thanks for the complement. I'm glad that Covid19 had a minimal impact on progress.

Terry
this has been fascinating following the progress and setbacks throughout the entire process. Thank you for sticking with it. You are a very determined man. I look forward to the day when I can run one of these.
Pat

Pat, It's been a long journey and I look forward to the end.

Dear Terry ,
Thank you very much for your update.
A view questions.

1. Will the machining off the engine Block be done in China or the US ??
2. We have a full programm ready for a Haas CNC machine to machine the engine Blocks .Only line boring willl be done by conventional machining.
3. It looks like the botthem of the engine (connection tot he oilpan is to thin for machining)
4. How many material is added for machining
5. We have experience with 3d engineeering , casting and machining of engine blocks let me know if it is possible to send us an casted block for inspection.
6. Is it possible to do the same here with assembling and testing we have the experience

Will send you videoo of engines we have done .
Prepared to help to improve the project with experience and quality machining.
Friendly regards,
Hans

Hans,
1) Machining will be done in China.
2) China will provide a cylinder block that is line bored and ready for assembly. They will also supply the fully machined crankshaft and connecting rods.
3) The bottom of the raw casting has .10 inch of material that needs to be removed during machining.
4) All machined surfaces have an extra .10 inch that is removed during machining.
5) We have not requested un-machined castings. Machining a raw casting would require several unique fixtures.
6) For a second evaluation of the design, we would be happy for you to do the assembly and testing of an engine.

Dear Terry,
Thank you for answering me .
The fixtures are available no problem.
We would love to get started with the new castings and testing and distribute the engines Europe wide.
I Think the best way would be shipping the engines directly to Europe to avoid extra shipping costs and custom charges.
I am open to for support and suggestions from your side.
Friendly regards,
Hans

Hans,
I am the engineer on this project.
Before production, we need to evaluate the new engine parts. The May 2020 update addressed what we are planning to do for "Design Verification" before we authorize production.
Un-machined castings and forgings will not be available.
All parts will be machined in China in factories that specialize in making cylinder blocks, crankshafts, and connecting rods. Part of the final inspection process for the cylinder block will be to pressurize the water jacket to make sure that it has no porosity after machining.
The only machining that may be needed to the parts that we are supplying is to ensure that the piston to wall clearance is adequate. Original pistons were split skirt and clearance could be .002 inch. If you are using solid skirt pistons, the clearance should be .004 inch.
John Lampl, another team member, is responsible for manufacturing, quality control, and transportation.
John and I talked about you becoming our distributor in Europe and how the parts would be shipped directly to you to avoid paying customs and other fees twice.
I have cc'd John in this Email.

Dear Terry,
Thank you very much fort his clear info!!
We will wait patiently.
Friendly regards, Hans

I am interested in the progress and testing of the engine with the possibility of purchasing one in the future depending on test results, compatibility with vintage Ford external components, and cost. This is an exciting idea and I hope it succeeds. I am skeptical given the quality and fit of many reproduction parts which that we encounter these days. Given the attention to detail and length of time that is detailed on the website, I hope this is a success. Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks for your comments. I am a manufacturer of Model A parts that pass judging at MARC and MAFCA events. Don't be skeptical. If the parts from China don't meet our requirements, they will not be offered for sale.

Hey Terry,
Wow, exciting indeed , after all these years!!
How do I go about getting on your list to purchase one or more of your engines ?
Thanks for your perseverance in your/our dream.
Rick

Rick,
The last time that we spoke was at the MARC convention in San Diego in 2011.
Before we sell any parts, they need to pass a visual inspection, a mechanical inspection to ensure that all interfaces meet the tolerances on Ford drawings, run-in testing at high RPM, and hill climbing. We are planning to offer a discount to parts dealers, machine shops, and others who purchase 5 or more at a time. Once testing is complete and authorization for the production run is given, I will post the Email address where people can order parts.

Hi
I have wrote this before. In the Great USA there must be a foundry that could use the business ,and not send it to China ! I am a Canadian and I want the money to go to America’s
Stephen

Stephen, I spent 8 years (2007 to 2015) and several thousands of dollars attempting to have these engine parts manufactured in California. I also contacted numerous foundries in the mid-west and none were interested in a casting with multiple cores. None of the foundries that I worked with and contacted had the machine shop capabilities to provide a ready to assemble cylinder block. The factory in China making the cylinder block has pattern makers, a foundry, machine shop, and will deliver a cylinder block that is ready for assembly. The factory in China only makes cylinder blocks. They don't make brake rotors, exhaust manifolds, fire hydrants, frying pans, or manhole covers.

Thanks for your continuous updates! Congratulations for a very professional and useful quest. It will be much appreciated and widely heralded in the Model A Community., Rich

Rich, Thanks for your comments.

The New model a engine, will it be babbit or press in bearings. Lloyd

The new engine will have pressed in bushings for the camshaft, and inserts for the main and connecting rod bearings.
The inserts are part number CB745P and they were used from 1955 to 2003 in several V-8, 6, and 4-cylinder engines built by General Motors.
Check out Ebayhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Rod-Bearing-Set-Fits-87-03-Buick-Chevrolet-Beretta-Cavalier-2-0L-L4-OHV-8v/281494310467 and click on "See Compatible Vehicles" to view a partial list of cars and trucks that used this insert.

Hi Terry,
Just wondering, will the block take adjustable lifters as it comes or do we machine that when we get it?
Sounds pretty good. I figured we would lose several months because of the virus.
Thanks, Kerry

Kerry,
The new cylinder block will be machined to Ford drawing A-6015 so that all interfaces are identical to Model A. There is no measuring of an old cylinder block to reverse engineer dimensions. In other words, if a part fits an original cylinder block, then it will fit the new cylinder block.
Some people like to use the adjustable lifters with a locknut and they sometimes machine the top of the lifter bodies shorter for better wrench access. The lifter bodies will be the stock height on the new cylinder block.

Terry:
Thanks for the update and the tooling photos. This has been a long journey for you, but a vacation of hope for the rest of us.
Thanks again, Kem

Kem,
It is good to hear from you.
I miss the days when you and I traveled to see Carl.

Terry,
Is the boss for the engine's serial number located correctly? Not sure by looking at the pictures. JM

Jim,
The serial number boss is in the correct position.
In the pictures, everything above the boss is sand cores that will support cores and provide venting.
The casting will have no iron above the serial number boss.
Compare the size and location of the serial number boss to the water inlet and things will look better.

I am sure Louie would really enjoy receiving your updates but he passed away 2 years ago on March 24, 2018. He always looked forward to your emails.

JoAnn,
Thanks for your Email.
I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of Louie in 2018 when this project was stalled.
Hopefully, he can look down and see it has been revived.
Our chapter (SCVC) of MAFCA has several members (both men and women) that have lost spouses, however, they remain active members and enjoy the camaraderie. I hope that you are in a similar situation.

Terry
Why the need for model A engines ? they are dime a dozen !
Carl

Carl,
Thank you for your comment.
You are on my Hotmail contact list because of your request.
You are very fortunate that you can buy Model A engines for less than a penny each.
You could make money by selling them to rebuilders that are looking for re-buildable cylinder blocks.
Please reply if you would like me to remove you from my Hotmail contacts list.
My free Hotmail account only allows me to send 300 updates to contacts in a 24 hour period, and I would like to thin the contact list.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote