View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Joe K

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fitment

There are some um "defective" crankshaft pulleys out there.

I came across one directly from a vendor where the hole that fits over the crank was too small.

Of course I got my money back.

The vendor is now out of business. Perhaps this is an indication of cause & effect?

Given that your new pulley seems to be of the "one piece" variety, is it possible the engine has "moved" during your "partial removal" necessary to put the pulley in place? It might even be something as simple as putting the front support in place "backwards" - which can be done inadvertently and covered up in the tensioning of the bolts. (or it might be backwards from time immemorial from a previous mistake.)

If I recall correctly, the mount is actually bent in a slight "Z" which allows the hole in the cross-member to sit a little closer to the motor. Putting it in backwards WOULD create an interference point.

The indication you give us ("protuding past the end") seems about right for the pulley. When fully bolted in place the pulley hub actually serves to "pin" the crank-gear in place and prevent front-back movement of this pressed on gear.

Try a comparison of the old pulley (what remains) and the new.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 04-20-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote