View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: how to test spark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
if i'm not mistaken, the ignition switch closes and opens the electrical circuit required for the engine to run(well that's how it is looking). So like when you hotwire a more modern car, we took the two wired from the back and attached them together to open the loop permanently.

I'll try some of your suggestions when I have a chance off from football/school. Unfortunately I normally only have Sundays and evenings off so I may not be able to ring you up soon(Bob). I do appreciate all the help, and not getting fed up with this youngin!
I guess you mean "close the loop" when you tie the wires together, rather than "open the loop".

Notice in the schematic that Mike posted the switch is shown in the OFF position and the points are GROUNDED. When the key is turned to the right and it pops out, the points wire will be connected to the coil primary wire and DISCONNECTED from ground. The grounding of the points wire is why the end of the popout cable must be unscrewed from the distributor if you are going to hotwire the original ignition. If you are using an ordinary aftermarket switch, then hotwiring as you describe should work fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote