View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #40
Kube

Default Re: USPS damage in shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
There is an inherent risk in shipping large, heavy, bulky items via any carrier. I can tell you a similar story about Fedex and a set of "triple nickel" hemi heads. The best defense against this is proper packaging by the sender. I sold a Weiand 4 carb set up to a guy in Salt Lake City. I spend a full day making a shipping crate from 2X4's and 3/8" plywood to make sure that is went through OK. It did.
Once again, I find myself agreeing with you.
If anyone thinks that a UPS, FedEX or USPS employee has time to carefully place your box, then you are living in LaLa land. All of these shippers handle millions of packages on a daily basis.
It is up to the shipper to package the box well.
I'd received within a small flat rate box (USPS) two extremely rare tail lamp lens (NOS). The shipper, I kid you not, had wrapped a single (read ONE) piece of paper towel around the pair. Um, guess what? A million pieces. I blame only the (idiot) shipper.

In the past week, I have received two, not one, but TWO reproduction trunk lids from Carpenter via FedEx. Both were heavily damaged in shipping.
This is on Carpenter. Each was packed within a cardboard box with NO internal reinforcement. Each had nothing more than a number of those air pillows.

Last edited by Kube; 04-05-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote