View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #17
Hoogah

Default Re: Not a Ford , but what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
I vote for Benin which was a French colony up to 1960. Large high quality USA made cars were very popular in Europe certainly in France more than England I think .About 20 years ago I was a guest at a French wedding . The bridal car was a large open car it was a Berliet . Just prior to the wedding it broke down ,missing on one cylinder . Everything was tried but no go . I was invited to help as it was known I had an interest in "old cars" . No compression so I took the valve chest door off to find a valve had lost its keeper collett .No sign of the collett which no doubt was now in the oil pan . The bridal chateau had a small workshop where I got a suitable "cut floor nail" . It was luckily the right height and width to fit the valve stem keeper slot then I cut it to length. I prised up the dished keeper retainer and got the nail in and seated and back on all cylinders . The engine looked very American to me I grew up in South Africa and elderly American cars were common . I remarked to the owner who told me the car was mostly Dodge Brothers built under licence from Dodge .The owner was very pleased and I did get to kiss the bride !!!

John in Suffolk County England .

Luv ya work!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote