View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #67
OldGold360

Default Re: 1936 Pickup bed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Absolutely! And GOOD JOB man looks good! Mac Hils is going to want to hire you away to work for THEM I wonder if their dies are worn out or what is going on??
Hi Jeff. I just think Mack Hils did not measure twice. I'm not sure how they form their bed floors, but if it's stamped with all the dimples in one step, that just means their tooling was off from the beginning. If each dimple surrounding bolt holes is done individually, as I did when I redid them, then they have the incorrect dimensions or they did not measure correctly. Aside from that, their beads are sloppy, dimples the wrong size and incorrectly located, and their is a lot of warpage throughout the panel that I will have to address to get it to lay flat on the wood underlayment. I know others have been happy with their product, but I know of many others that are not. The impression I got when trying to decide which direction to go on my bed floor was that the Mack Hils product is a perfect replacement for my '36 and that I would not be disappointed... I was disappointed. It's far from perfect and it does need work to make it correct as well as bolt up to the frame. I don't say this to irk the Mack Hils fans that are out there. I only share my honest experiences in hopes to help someone that needs to make the same decision I had to not that long ago. I am fortunate that my background is metalshaping and that I have the equipment that makes it easier for me to make the necessary corrections to the bed floor that I needed to in order to make it correct, but also to make it bolt up to my frame.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote