View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #47
montanafordman

Default Re: Towing A Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeagle1 View Post
My problem with using a trailer is that my vehicle is only rated to tow 3500 pounds. Amodel A and trailer would exceed that. That is why I chose the dolly.
My supercab F-150 is rated for 6,600 pounds for towing. While it handled it beautifully it did suck down the gas like nobodys business. I also maintain my pickup pretty religiously and havn't neglected to flush the transmission fluid as directed and also do the job after a big long haul like that. 180K later it hasn't let me down (knocks on wood)

I wouldn't want to do it with anything smaller than a half ton pickup and would opt to have all 4 wheels off the ground. If you're that close to max weight for towing, or have a smaller vehicle that trailer might drive you, rather than the other way around. Experience in driving with a trailer and manuvering / parking is also a consideration. The load would also put some serious wear and tear on the drivetrain. If this is the case I think trulyvintage is right on the mark. It would be cheaper and easier to hire someone to do the job. Just my 2 cents worth.