View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
Tom in TN

Default Re: Any 1955 steering column horn experts around?

Thread update: (for those who are interested)
Well, the old wire is out and the ‘pull wire’ is hanging out both ends of the tube…but I have learned a few things.
The spring isn’t broke. Actually, there is/was nothing wrong with the ‘ball end’ of the horn wire. As I now understand it, my problem was that when the ‘ball’ was pushed inward, the entire horn wire moves inward as well and I discovered, as I was pulling out the old wire, at about 1/2 tube, my horn wire was covered/saturated in thick grease. It appears that this grease was what was holding the ‘ball’ in the retracted position. The upper end of the old horn wire is fine.
So, I am thinking of two things to do as I reinstall the new horn wire. 1) I’m going to spray brake parts cleaner down the tube and try to get the grease to dissolve and let it run out the bottom hole and 2) I’m going to use the pull wire to help this by pulling it out the top (except for 3-4 inches) and wipe it off, then pull it out the bottom (again except for 3-4 inches) and wipe it off, and then just go top to bottom, back and forth a few times and hopefully this will drag out as much of that grease as possible so that the new wire can move freely…even though, when it is all installed and buttoned up, the wire won’t really be moving but a fraction.
I anticipate having some good solid horns pretty soon.
Followup question: my horn ring is shaped like a D. If everything is working as it should be, can the driver push in at the center of the D’s arc (the horn button is the middle of the straight line) and get the horns to blow? I have never been able to get the horns to blow by pushing anywhere but dead center on the horn button, so I’d just like to know what to expect from it.

Til later…
Tom in TN is offline   Reply With Quote