View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #47
Eagle43

Default Re: Overdrive Transmission in a 1952 F1

I'm in the process of fitting in the R10 overdrive. I've puzzled over how to proceed for a day or two and followed this discussion with interest and I've come to the conclusion that "simple" is best in this case. I'm simply moving the crossmember back a few inches so that the transmission mount fits in front of the crossmember. I only need to bolt a piece of angle iron on the front of the cross member for the mount to sit on. I will reinstall the left part of my old destroyed cross member back in its proper place for the master cylinder and pedal assembly to bolt on to. My cost for this installation will be close to zero except for the bolts and the rubber motor mounts, solenoid seal and rear seal I have on order from Rock Auto. There will be no modifications to the cross member other than a few bolt holes so its structural integrity is intact. I'm still trying to find a 16 spline slip yoke to connect to the drive shaft and this will determine exactly where the cross member will be installed. I may have to cheat a bit and move the motor forward a half an inch or so since I don't want to have to shorten my driveshaft. Regarding total expense - I paid $800 for the transmission. It came with the bellhousing and solenoid. I still need a side shift steering column. If I went for the regular floor shift transmission I would need to find a shifter and regular steering column.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote