View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
Ketronj281989

Default Re: 1936 Ford V8 Service/Restoration Thread

My first order of business post purchasing will be the mechanical servicing of the car. I drove the car on 6 occasions before putting it in the garage for winter servicing. All 6 of these occasions were 5 to 10 min. trips around the block. This is all the car would do before sputtering, overheating, and grinding gears. Now with that said, I have been driving a standard transmission since I was 15. This transmission seems different from a modern one; I have noticed I have to shift the transmission in this Ford slowly to allow for the synchronizer to engage. Prior to hopping into the car for the first time, I already knew reverse and 1st are not synchronized. I have since discovered am having a general transmission problem, more on that later!

Several major finding while the car was driven around the block:
- Temp. gauge fluid rose to top of sight glass within 10 minutes of running and driving
- Car would sputter, lose power upon acceleration
- Car had trouble shifting between gears, mainly 1st and 2nd
- 3rd gear was only obtained on two occasions, seemed to work fine
- Down shift from 3rd to 2nd on those two occasions seemed to work fine

I was ultra-excited to have my very own pre-war car, especially a Ford V8. I was very eager to drive it on the road. These small “outings” quickly made me realize I was going to have to perform some major service work on the car.
Ketronj281989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)