View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Fred A

Default Green Book References?

A lot of guesses have com in that don't bring much more than an anecdote. Early on, I dismissed the question as the owners of a spotted cat thinking they have a leopard. However looking at the Green Book combined with limited cases of factory mislabeled parts showing up as serviced replacements finally makes me wonder. The Book lists three transmissions used in the era for the 40hp, one for passenger car (ONA-7005), one for the light commercial(ONC-7005), and one for trucks(ONY-7005), yet the 78-7006 case number is retained. The average conspiracy theorist among you could assume that the number is correct or not depending. I went out and kicked over a couple of 73-7005 transmissions and noticed that the number 3 looked like a repair job and one case showed signs of being modified to fit the commercial 60 while the other seemed high quality and "factory". These 73 cases are lower production and in a comparable niche to the 40hp truck argument in that they are for tiny engines in big vehicles. Then leaping to the incorrect number issue.. In my experience, the Model A front timing covers made for service replacement were also wrongly marked as B-6019 which is for engines with B distributors while the A-6019-B has the timing pin drilled for top dead center for the Model A. Hardly worth a total redesign of the part, just drilled in a different place. It is a stretch, but while the 78-7006 case was made by the millions, the ONA, ONB, ONC series must have been precious few, and perhaps modified from common stocks. Not as likely because of the relatively complex change, but not totally crazy either. I doubt that legions of Ford Barners will dash out and check their 40hp freak, but that would be a way to stack up the evidence of the "special" nature of this curiosity. I don't see any case for the 9N listed but at least the 9n has some serious production numbers to command more respect. This thread should be pretty dead by now. A perfect time for me to follow up on it. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote