View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Fred A

Default Special?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't know if Special is a good word for it. Many would call it damaged. Unitil recently I would put a hammer through the side of such cases fearing that slick vendors would sell them to the unknowing rodder as a useable piece. I hate it when swap vendors offer crap that would only be a setback to our friends. Those cases are so common that at $75 or a bit more each, and considering that the contents can add up to ten times that figure, seems like a bad deal to start off with damaged cases. There are other condition issues that may add to the disadvantage of using the case such as the condition of the cluster thrust at the rear interior of the case which commonly is scored to the point of destroying the thrust washer in service. Cracks may also be a negative. One practical use of the old Ford cases is setting up a chassis where the hero trans may be filled with your best gears and thus too heavy to be conveniently handled. Those cases, '32 thru 51 light commercial are sometimes skeletonized by those that use them often, in order to be light and handy with the various(4 types) of rear bearing retainers, so it's not a total loss. Have fun with it. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote