View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 01:38 AM   #18
atourer

Default Re: Part I.D.,...Australian ?

Gentlemen the plot thickens !!
Dudley i think the 1929 USA open cars with outside handles continued with the orange striker but in Australia I am thinking the Australian 29's must have had a different lock body. This is news to me. I am just looking at photos in the latest Restorer mag of Val Maron's beautiful 29 roadster and it has outside handles and the orange style striker.
The question is if your friend is building it authentic Australian car or using the panels to make a USA one. The main 2 differences apart from right hand drive (and now this striker curiosity) is in the colour schemes and trim used in Australia and that the Aussie ones had all wooden sub frame and curtain tray with different lid like the other guys have said. Interesting curiosity is when the bodies were shipped from Canada originally in 1928 the whole side was shipped as an assembly all riveted to the steel side member (cowl pillar, centre pillar and rear quarter). All were stacked together for shipping. But to meet the local content rules set by the government, the side member was discarded and replaced with timber used for side members, cross members, curtain tray and floor.
Let us know if you plan to do a genuine Aussie one - we can help with that !
Brian.
atourer is offline   Reply With Quote