Thread: Engine dies
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 01:45 AM   #19
Rob Doe

Default Re: Engine dies

Woodie, I edited my comments to you. I woke up in the night and didn't like what I had written.

The telltale flicker in the ammeter during startup did not show up in early cars. There was a service bulletin in 1929, November as I remember, that moved the source (other) end of the wire that is on the negative terminal of the coil to the yellow/black stripe terminal in the junction box. Watch the YouTube video:

Electrical Issues - How to Troubleshoot a Ford Model A

Mr. Reetz explains pretty well the value of this flickering ammeter, and he demonstrates other common issues. The tests you did at the distributor seem to be good as others said. But was it doing that when you couldn't get the car to start?

You're testing for an intermittent problem. You can purchase a spark tester from the major Model A vendors that goes between the coil wire and the distributor or hook a test light to the positive terminal of the coil primary and clamp the probe to the radiator support rods to watch the points open and close as you try to start the car from inside, but that takes time to get things hooked up. You can also pull the coil wire out of the distributor and hold it a quarter or even a half inch from a head nut (clean one) and watch for spark. But that requires a helper unless you are able to work the starter switch by hand and hold the wire at the same time. (car out of gear and chocked)

This forum has many highly experienced contributors. I wouldn't give up too easily.

Last edited by Rob Doe; 07-13-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote