View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default A pointless thread ????

I had answered a post on the forum the other day and one of the better known members chimed in and said " whats your point" . My point was to add some verbage as to how something worked regarding ignition.
Thats the problem email etc you dont always know the intention of statements , if he had been standing in my shop i would have thougth that was a "smart ass statement " and thats kinda the way i took it on his post . Any way i am overt hat one for now and heres another thought on points......
I use a ton of CS786 contact point over the years and they are the very very best money can buy. I hope the new owners of echlin ( Standard Motor Products) dont screw this one up .
I usually buy a carton of 12 sets from local napa warehouse but the prices sometimes jump up quite a bit causing me to shop . Ebay usually has a few sets and sometimes they are priced right . I bought some a couple weeks ago and heres what the guy sent me . A new set of CS786 and another set of atlas 153s , seems he has a few more of the 153s and would make me a deal on six or more sets. Nice of the guy but i dont want them and it makes a great example of what can go wrong with a tune up using the aftermarket 153 atlas part . ( we sold atlas at the ESSO where i worked as a kid ) The problem is they are just a very much inferior part ! The contact spring is just a spring steel plated ( sometimes ) unit where the echlin uses a brass strap and a spring steel contact spring, the rubbing block assembly is plastic and the mounting post is pretty flimsy as well. These wont run the rpm that the echlin will run as well.... Look at both laying side by side .
Nows heres my point , lets assume you dont know any better and tune the car up using the atlas contacts , how many carbs , fuel pumps , caps , rotors and discussions would this cause . Answer is many problems created here ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3544.jpg (49.9 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3545.jpg (44.3 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3543.jpg (51.5 KB, 292 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote