View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
19Fordy

Smile Re: !940 and 41 REAR END QUESTIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
So, just what were you trying to accomplish? DD
I wanted to obtain a 41 torque tube (thinking it was the same as a 1940) and experiment with it to figure out a way to make a sealing device to prevent gear oil from the rear end from leaking forward into the torque tube. My 40 has a pretty severe "rubber rake" and the fluid in the rear drains forward. I know there were several folks making this type of seal (Vern Tardell and Seabright Hot Rods) but they are no longer making them. As far as I know the only other "seal' is being made by Butch's Rod Shop in TX. This thread explains all three company seals.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ar+leaking+oil
I really like the seal unit developed by "Detanator" pictured in the above thread, but they are no longer making it. My friend has a 41 Ford rear end that I was hoping I could experiment with rather than take my car apart. It seems that the main problem is that the ID of the torque tube is dimensionally "out of round" resulting in fitment problems with the interior wall of the Ford torque tube at the banjo end. Plus, I don't have a lathe big enough to turn the ID of a torque tube "round". Then there's the wall thickness issue. I like the traditional look of the banjo rear, torque tube and radius rods and don't want to change over to an open drive line. I owned my 40 for 52 years and can't bring myself to loose that "old school" drive train. Plus, it would be neat challenge to solve this common problem. One idea is to figure a way to modify the "clam shell and flange" (found on the front of a torque tube) so that it could fit tightly inside the banjo end of of the 40 torque tube. I know there is a better mouse trap.
Thanks for asking. JIM

19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote