View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #28
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: When is a "Model A" no longer a "Model A"

I talked to the title person in NJ DMV at one point and asked that question. I did not get a solid answer, but when the chassis parts are mostly not original.

This is important because people cheat the rules by doing a rod and keeping the title. Which can cause you problems. Legally if the car is not properly titled then it is not legally registered so it is not insured. I played the game asking these questions to various law enforcement and they were not sure what to say. Needless to say they do not want to try and defend this in court so they they will not do that to you.

In NJ they have been asking for pictures of cars with QQ tag (historic license plates). If the car does not look close enough to factory they have been pulling the title and forcing you to show the car meets the requirements of a home built car. Emissions must meet year of manufacture for the engine. I have personally talked to 2 people that had their titles pulled (they let them continue driving in the mean time). They needed to prove they paid all the taxes on the parts in the car and submit them for a safety inspection.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote