View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #18
CHuDWah

Default Re: removing flame arrestor or filler screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
SUCCESS ! I got the screen out, but I did have to partially collapse it to do so. The problem was, as 1crosscut suggested, the screen is bulged out below the threaded ring. I think that probably 90 years of hitting the screen with the tip of the fill nozzle tends to balloon the screen out all the way around. The screen already had some large holes in it, and was already damaged (possibly by someone else's attempts to remove it) so I did not waste a good, reusable part. It was junk anyway. And I think I got all of the pieces out without any falling into the tank.

And now, the rest of the story. I did all of this because my gas gauge had quit working--it was stuck between 1/2 and 1/4. I think it was hanging on the filler screen. I discovered this on my last long trip. I thought I was getting unusually good gas mileage, but it did not occur to me until I was about 2 miles from home that the gas gauge had not moved in 40 miles. That was about the same time the engine coughed and died. I was able to coast into the parking lot of a business that was closed for the evening. In my mind, I went down the list of all my buddies I could call to come get me, but as I went over the list, I realized every one of them was unavailable that evening. The only person left to call? My wife. And yes, she got a great deal of joy from having to come rescue me, and she is enjoying greatly telling everyone I ran out of gas AGAIN. I've really got to get that gauge adjusted!

W. Michael

CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote