View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #17
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Misnomer - Front Engine Support

Spring rate, also known as spring constant, is the constant amount of force or spring rate of force it takes an extension or compression spring to travel an inch of distance or, in the metric system of measurement, a millimeter of distance. The units of measurement of rate in the English System are, lbf/in (pounds of force per inch) or N/mm (newtons per millimeter) in the Metric System.

A-6032 is the part number for the 2 coil springs on top of the damper. According to the drawing, the spring has a length of 1-5/8" to 1-11/16", and should take a force of 60 pounds to compress the spring to a length of 1-1/8".

The Spring Constant is k= F/x where k is the constant, F is the force and x is the amount of spring compression.
k= 60/0.5 = 120 lbs/in. So a reproduction A-6032 Spring should have a length of 1-5/8" to 1-11/16", an inside diameter of 1/2", ground flat on both ends and be heat treated to achieve a spring constant of 30 pounds per inch of compression. Are there drawings of the lower coil spring and the flat spring available? I am curious to learn their spring constants.

Once the spring constant is known, the coil spring wire and heat treatment can be defined. Is there a kind soul out there that will test a set of reproduction coil springs to determine their spring constants?

As I mentioned in a prior post, I likely will be installing coil springs with a higher spring constant in my Victoria. Perhaps the camshaft plunger spring will work?

Joop, Alexiskia,
Thanks for the drawings.