View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: price for running chassis???

It is worth what you feel like paying.

Now if you want to quantify the value of the chassis you must ask lots of questions.

How usable are the parts on the chassis? Running does not imply rebuildable or usable when it comes to early Ford chassis. Is there history on the rebuilding of the parts? How fast does the car safely run? Keep in mind a properly restored chassis runs 60 MPH no problem and stops great. If it does not have shocks that function and it does not bounce off the road above 25 MPH then you know the springs are dead. Odds are real good the chassis is not as good as you would think.

Usually all the parts are in various condition of wore out so you have to consider core value of the parts.

As a idea of costs. I can no almost all of the chassis work in house between the tools my brother and I have. We are talking building a car back to factory specs. I have expensive special tools like the KRW tooling and Barrett Brake Doktor and so on. I expect to have spent close to $15,000 in rebuilding my chassis. That includes a bunch of NOS parts bought for less then repro parts.

So then what is the chassis worth if it is going to cost you $15k to make it back to factory, not JS specs?

Perspective.

Now you have a set of fenders and other parts to consider. If they are clean unrepaired nice bead fenders then there is a bunch of value there.

Also the title. Keep in mind some states have rules about titles and rods. Here in NJ they are looking for that and some rods had their titles pulled and force owners to get rod titles. Often if you have the chassis and a receipt you might be able to get a title especially if the other person has not move yet to do so. Just get a receipt for the engine and frame numbers. If the other guy goes for a title he will have to show them stuff he stamped and that does not go over well.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote