View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 12:14 AM   #18
cadillac512

Default Re: My "new" 260 inch Merc is a BEAST!

The belt setup uses the stock style early pumps with the wide belt. Same as '41 Merc (and the same era Fords) originally had...rear edge of pulleys 1" from pump mounting surface of the block. I used those because they are what I had and because this year car uses the crank mounted fan which requires the crank pulley to have the mounting flange for it.

That crank pulley got a bit tricky because the early front crank seal wear sleeve is built onto it and my new 8BA engine already had the separate wear sleeve installed. It's not so easy to remove that sleeve with the engine fully assembled so I cut the one off the pulley and faced it flat in a lathe. That let me install the pulley lined up with the others.
The idler isn't a tensioner...the alternator bracket is the common adjustable one Speedway sells. The idler just routs the belt under the Chevy distributor since it's right in the run of the belt with the short water pumps.
So...it's all stock parts for '39-'41 Fords and Mercs as far as water pumps and crank pulley (If I'd thought ahead I could have used the crank pulley as-is without cutting off the seal area) , and the alternator is just mounted on a Speedway bracket with the idler to guide the belt under the distributor. Stock fan bolts right to the flanged front of the crank pulley.

It does make for a nice clean front end of the engine,and I like that. I have the day off tomorrow and am going to go for a long drive and do some tuning with the new setup.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote