View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #17
QGolden

Default Re: A Safe Way to Mail Parts

I have been to Worldport in Louisville and walked through UPS. Worldport is the largest package handling facility in the world. 90% of all packages that ship via UPS hit this sorting facility. It is fully automated and requires little to no hands on, except for physically taking the packages out of the container at one end, and putting them into another container on another. There are 30,000 conveyors in that 4,000,000 sq. Foot building covering nearly 150 miles. That is 150 miles of Conveyor under one roof! They handle up tp 350,000 packages an hour.

There are no three foot drops.

For that matter there are no drops period. All level changes are done via conveyor or a slide. Items that slide are stopped at the bottom by a cloth curtain, then conveyed out to the truck. UPS my largest customer and I call on local sorting facilities in the three northern New England States. No drops of any kind in those either.

That being said, packages marked "Fragile" go through the same handling process as everything else with no special treatment, until it gets to the Package Delivery Truck. There they are hand loaded for final delivery.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote