Thread: My 1930 Model A
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 01:47 AM   #138
lucky_stripe_garage

Default Re: My 1930 Model A

So I've had to do some work since the last time I updated. I was making sure the head bolts were torqued correctly since I was having issues with the coolant bubbling over at 35-40mph, but it wasn't overheating. Read on here that it could be a leaky head gasket. Tried to ensure the head was torqued down properly. Started at 35lbs and snapped one of the last studs. This prompted a head gasket change and decided to change all of the studs while I had the head off so I wouldn't snap anymore.

Went through 3 different stud removers, snapped a total of 4 studs, realized that the first cylinder exhaust valve was bent, not bad but just enough that it wouldn't move smoothly.

Straightened the valve, drilled out the broken studs and replaced them all and got everything back installed. She started up and idled smoother than she ever has since I picked her up. Drove around down (10-15 miles) pulling back into my apartment complex and she died within 20 yards of my garage. I traced everything down, with the help of Jim Cannon, to the distributor cam screw was backing out so it was out of timing. Got it retimed and now the NEW starter that was installed isn't working. I'm able to hand crank the engine and it runs ok, but now I have to pull the starter again to figure out why it's not working.
lucky_stripe_garage is offline   Reply With Quote