View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default 97 carb hesitation

Just took delivery of a 1941 Ford Coupe with what I believe is the original 11A 221 cid flathead. It has a 6V in-line Facet fuel pump and no external regulator. Still looking for fuel pump specs. When purchased, the car was idling around 1200 rpm with the idle screws about 1 1/4 turns out and with the accelerator pump in the "severe cold" hole. Gas weeping from somewhere. Really nasty off-idle hesitation. Plugs are very black. Not undriveable but very unpleasant.

Reset accelerator pump to "summer" hole, reset idle speed to about 600 rpm, adjusted idle mixture because when I slowed it down the exhaust turned black. Idles fine but screws are only about 1/4 turn out. Very odd. Still have a lot of gas weeping from somewhere. Right through the idle screws is one place; they seem moist to the touch. No change in hesitation or driveability. My assessment is that gas must be leaking inside the carb as well as outside which is why it likes only a quarter turn out on mixture screws. With only a quarter turn out, the transition circuit probably isn't working correctly. Accelerator pump could be bad too. Maybe a bad power valve and/or float needle/seat and/or bushings as well.

Looked at the Edlebrock rebuild kit for a Holley 94. Not really too much in it. It might help but would not be surprised if it doesn't. I'm very tempted to give up on this carb and just get a new one but will probably go through the motions of the rebuild kit. I'll check the rated fuel pressure of the electric pump, maybe it's too high. Would prefer not to use an electric fuel pump but the mechanical pump doesn't seem to be able to pull enough fuel through the electric pump when I turn it off. Don't know if it should be able to do that or if the mechanical fuel pump is good or bad.

Thoughts or suggestions on a path forward would be appreciated. I'd rather pay for a new carb to get on the road now rather than spend a month trying and possibly failing to make this old one work right.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote