View Single Post
Old 06-07-2023, 05:59 PM   #4
JayJay

Default Re: Pulling my head out...

I've not had a head that didn't fight me. I use an engine hoist with a load leveler, and two of those ring adapters that go into the spark plug holes. Having said that, it usually takes me a bunch of upwards pressure combined with cussing and whacking of the side of the head with a dead blow hammer to bust it loose. Once it's loose I use a succession of plastic wedges to gradually lift it equally off the block while keeping upward pressure. Don't be surprised if it suddenly "pops" while lifting up.

However, you might try torquing the head down, running it for a while then doing a compression test to see if there is indication of head gasket, valve or ring problems before you pull the head. No need to manufacture trouble if none is needed. I find that the stud that holds the distributor clamp is quite sensitive to head torque (and is often loosened to remove the distributor and not tightened correctly). That hole is connected to the water jacket and if it's loose and allowing coolant into #3 and #4 you would get the symptoms described.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote