View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 12:50 AM   #16
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania
Default Re: Help determining fair value

Your question as to Model A Ford purchase value could probably be solid subject material of a Doctoral Thesis for a PHd.

First off, just this afternoon the wife and me were viewing some YouTube videos of recent Model A Ford club day tours. Except for a couple of "younger" people seen, the owners of those cars are VERY old. Being 70 myself and getting more feeble by the day, I can probably get away with citing the "age" factor into this equation. Looking at that crowd of yammering Model A Ford club geezers it would be safe to guess that there will be even more orphaned cars on the market in the not too distant future. Also too, a whole lot of the antique car people that comprised a large active membership in these clubs and chapters have already passed on. Those Model A Ford owners are not being replaced by younger people in any sizable numbers. There are many, many Model A Fords tucked away all over the place in various states of condition.

Recently ran across a 1931 town sedan in New York state about 50-miles away that the seller listed as "restored". As with most of these things, the car had belonged to the guy's father who passed away about ten years ago. Wanting the garage space for his 21st century plastic Asian coupe, this character had exiled the handsome slant windshield fordor to a dirt floor shed having open spaced barn-board walls. That Model A Ford has been off n' on the market for at least two years now. It is covered with dirt, bird and bat droppings. The entire under-carriage is rusty and corrosion covers all underneath surfaces. Opened the rear door and a strong pungent stench of rodent urine overwhelmed the senses. Mice had destroyed the LeBaron-Bonney mohair interior. With a jump start, it was said that the car could be made to run.

This clown's original price had been $11,000. That was incrementally reduced over a couple of years to $7,500. Fat chance! At this point, only want "turn-key" "rat-free" automobiles. In some earlier period of life I might have offered the guy a couple of grand for the junker. Now, why be bothered with any of these neglected rust heaps? Life is too short to burn up time, energy and good money.

Within the last year have seen at least a half dozen very decent nearby Model A Fords with asking price of $7,500 or lower. Not long ago, I posted on this forum a very good 1931 Ford pickup truck not too far from here over in western New Jersey. As recalled, the asking price was $7,000. Last spring, a super nice, correctly restored, early 1928 tudor sedan showed up in the Hudson Valley of New York up near Port Jervis. Another one with a $7,000 asking price. I talked to the seller on the phone but a medical situation short circuited my going up to see/purchase the car. By the time I got out of the hospital a few days later, that one was of course sold.

Summing it up, if you've got some cash in the piggy bank that's dedicated to buying a Model A Ford, be hard nosed and fussy about purchasing. Despite what some people may say, it is a "Buyer's Market". Cash talks and fact is, there are not that many guys strolling around with wads in their pockets to toss at a big 85-year old toy. Far too many cared for, "turn key" cars around for a person to screw with "restoring" a clunker or a "barn find" rodent infested wreck.

When surveying a Model A Ford (or any old car), bring a check-out check-list, flashlight and at least one small stick-on refrigerator type magnet. Use the magnet to test the body for bondo plastic filler or skim coating. Be strict!

Buy wisely!

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 10-12-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote